Using the Clever Logger App to connect your Gateway to Wi-Fi
The Clever Logger Gateway can connect to a Wi-Fi network. Connecting to Wi-Fi often means you can position the Gateway closer to the Logger and get a better signal.
Please note that Clever Logger cannot connect to Enterprise Wi-Fi (with username) or hidden Wi-Fi networks.
You will need two things ...
1. The Clever Logger app installed on your phone
In order to connect the gateway to Wi-Fi, we will need to enter the Wi-Fi password into the Gateway. Since the Gateway doesn’t have a keyboard, we are going to use a mobile phone to connect to the Gateway using Bluetooth so we can enter the password using the phone’s keyboard.
Any Apple or Android phone will do. An iPad will also work. You can uninstall the app when you are finished if you like. You don’t need to the phone to be connected to Wi-Fi. You just need to have Bluetooth turned on.
When you install the app on your phone or iPad, it will ask you to enter the email address on your Clever Logger account. It will then send a 6-digit code to that address as a verification, so you will need access to that inbox.
2. The Wi-Fi password
This is often on a sticker on the bottom of your modem/router. Alternatively, you may need to ask your IT people to supply it.
If you’re not sure if the password you have is correct, you can try to connect your phone to the network first, using that password. If that works, the Clever Logger will normally have no problems.
Install the Clever Logger app on your mobile phone
The Clever Logger App is available for both iOS and Android.
Search for “Clever Logger” in the appropriate app store.
Log into the App
When you first open the app, you will see a form asking for your email address.
Enter your email address in the App. You will receive a email from Clever Logger with a six-digit authorisation code. Enter the code into the app and follow the instructions.
You only need to do this once.
If you have already added the Gateway, then you can skip to Step 3 but make sure that the Ethernet cable is unplugged and that you have rebooted the Gateway by pulling out the power cord and putting it back in.
Before you start, the Gateway should be nearby and switched on but not connected to Ethernet.
Your phone should have Bluetooth turned on.
Tap the menu icon in the top left corner of the screen.
Choose Gateways from the menu
Tap on + Add Gateway
Select your Gateway model. In most cases, this will be the CLG-01 model.
If you have multiple sites, choose the site that this Gateway will belong to.
Enter the ID/Serial Number and PIN. You can find these on a sticker on the bottom of the Gateway.
Give the Gateway a name.
You can also enter a description. It is sometimes useful to describe where the Gateway is located.
Review the settings you have chosen and then hit Submit.
Connect the Gateway to Wi-Fi
Reboot the Gateway by pulling the power cable out and putting it back in.
After about 40 seconds, the power light on the end of the Gateway will begin to flash slowly, like the illustration below.
Tap the button that says I just turned my Gateway on.
Enter the Wi-Fi Password and tap the Connect button.
*If you received an error stating “Error Writing Command Packet: Incorrect Password”, this most likely means that the password you entered was incorrect. We recommend checking the password is correct by connecting to the Wi-Fi on a phone to check this.
The Wi-Fi should now be connected. The process is finished and you can click Done to close the page..
*If you receive an error stating “Unable to connect – timed out”, attempt to press back and enter the Wi-Fi details again. If the error appears again, unplug your Gateway for 10 seconds then plug it back in and begin these steps again. If issues persist please contact us on the number below.
If this process did not work for you, please check the following…
- Make sure the Ethernet cable is not plugged in
- Test the Wi-Fi network by checking that you can see and connect to it on your smartphone
- Reboot the Gateway by pulling the power cord out and putting it back in, or by switching the power off and on at the wall
- Click on the settings icon in the top right of the app screen and choose Refresh
- Check with your IT department as to whether they have restrictions on devices connecting to Wi-Fi. e.g. MAC address filtering.
- You have the latest version of the App installed by searching Clever Logger on your App store/Google Play store and checking for updates
- If you received an “Error Writing Command Packet” error notice, this mean the password you have entered is incorrect. Check the password is correct by attempting to connect to the same Wi-Fi normally on your phone.
- If you receives an “Error Unable to connect – timed out”, unplug Gateway for 10 seconds and then plug it in and attempt from Step 3.